From heyday to present day
Chippy market enjoyed the height of its success in the 16th century, when Chipping Norton became the largest market town in West Oxfordshire.
During the middle ages, the Cotswolds formed the centre of a prosperous wool trade, producing some of the finest wool in Europe.
Our town’s most impressive architecture was built on the sheep’s back, with well-to-do traders funding the impressive Town Hall, grammar school and Almshouses, as well as restoring the parish church.
The market has thrived for more than 800 years and weathered many sweeping changes in building, population and lifestyle, including the relocation of livestock trading to Banbury in 1920.